Address: 334 North Kenilworth Avenue, Oak Park IL
City: Oak Park, IL
Built in the 1870s, the Harrison P. Young house was designed by William E. Coman. Wright’s modifications, carried out in 1895, entailed moving the structure 16 ½ feet back on its lot, the addition of a wide porch, and a reconfiguration of the house’s interior spaces. The porch’s narrow clapboard siding emphasizes the horizontality of the addition, as does the gentle slope of the cantilevered roof that extends over the porch and driveway. Inside, Wright added a partition with columns and spindles between the reception room and hall, and designed fireplaces in the living room and primary bedroom.