Bach House, 7415 N. Sheridan Road, Chicago, IL
Featured on the Wright in the City Tour
This richly conceived yet intimately scaled residence was built in 1915 for Emil Bach, president of Chicago’s Bach Brick Co. A modification of Wright’s design for “A Fireproof House for $5000,” published in Ladies Home Journal in 1907, the Bach House was executed between Wright’s return from Europe in 1911 and his departure to Japan in 1916 to oversee construction of the Imperial Hotel. In contrast to the expansive, open Prairie houses Wright designed prior to his European sojourn, the Bach House is strongly centered and self-contained. While adopting the vocabulary of Wright’s Prairie house, the Bach House looks toward future stylistic directions in Wright’s work, in its contained geometry, efficient scale, and distinctive window designs.